Wednesday 12 December 2012

My Movie Review [4.5/5] - The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey

the hobbit an unexpected journey
Well, where should I start? Maybe let's start with a few self-questioning:

Q1: Is The Hobbit Better than The Lord Of The Rings? 
A1: Not better but almost at the same level

Q2: Is The Hobbit an instant classic?
Q2: Come very close

Q3: Is The Hobbit Entertaining and worth the premium for 3D experience?
Q3: Of course, YES!

I just came back from the premiere (Singapore) of The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey [3D], the 2 hours and 40 minutes are well spent and I enjoyed the movie a lot especially with the super sharp and fine images (I can't ascertain whether the cinema that I've been to is showing the 48 fps [frame per second] format, which by the way is 2 times the normal screening) but the clarity and majestic view just blown me away.

I especially like the hobbit character of Bilbo, (by Martin Freeman), he evolved from a reluctant and least expected addition to a life and death quest to a hero at the end of the show. The Hobbit is about his journey and in this installment, he is surrounded by 13 joyous dwarfs who determined to claimed back their kingdom. 



As expected, Gandalf (by Ian McKellen) created quite a lot of sparks and injected many funny moments to the movie. His chemistry with Bilbo is fantastic! Also, each of the 13 dwarfs (which are the key characters of this installment) have their fair share of screen times to build their characters. Do take note that their names sounded almost the same, I am sure most of us (non dwarfs or hobbit) will get confused about who is who... Imagine the names of Dori, Nori, Ori, Fili, Kili etc... (I think you get the point). But it doesn't really matter, just get immersed with their  comradeship.  

Also, the spectacular view of the middle-earth and the breathtaking fighting sequences (against the Trolls, The Wargs [giant wolf-hyenas] and the Bolg) are all worth the premium for 3D/IMAX. I am admiring the stunning vision of Peter Jackson and I thank him for bringing us such a majestic experience.

Overall, it is a MUST WATCH movie in 2012 (in 3D or IMAX 3D) and I am giving it:

4.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

For more details of The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, check out my earlier posts below: 




If you have watched the movie, please feel free to share your review in the comment section.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment